AS A TUTOR OR A PARENT DO YOU WANT YOUR STUDENT OR CHILD TO BE SMART ENOUGH TO ENJOY LEARNING! HERE ARE FEW WAYS TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!
1.CONNECT LEARNING TO REAL LIFE WITH LIVE EXAMPLES:
If you are explaining the concept of science explain with live examples. For example to explain how fire requires oxygen to burn – take a burning candle, cover it with glass tumbler, immediately the fire extinguishes! This will clearly demonstrate to the kids that fire requires oxygen to burn.
2.GIVE STUDENTS CHOICES:
By giving students some choices, you will be able to engage them. Instead of asking the students to summarize the lessons you can allow them to:
- To draw a picture to illustrate what they found more interesting.
- To deliver a one-time presentation in front of the class to show what they have learnt.
- To simply write an essay.
- If you offer a variety of options, students can choose what they are good at, which makes learning fun!
3. CREATE HANDS-ON LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
Children retain more information when their hands and mind are simultaneously active. Design and develop lessons which involve the activities which make the student talk, listen and move.
- Incorporate arts and crafts in their lessons
- Involve the students in discussions among a topic
- Ask each student to come up on stage and explain about a topic in own words. This will help them gain more clarity about the subject.
4. INCORPORATE TECHNOLOGIES INTO LEARNING :
- Assign digital projects to students.
- As you know children of this generation are very proficient in using technology. Assign them the projects that incorporate the use technologies in their assignments.
- Allow students to use computers and i-pads to conduct research for their assignments, and acquire information whatever they want to know through search engines. For younger kids, make them explore education lessons on i-pads which makes their learning experience more enjoyable and exciting.
- As a tutor or a parent, you can make learning make fun by using digital presentation tools to present your lessons.
- Introduce brief educational videos into your lectures to explain various concepts to the students.
- Place emphasis on learning and improving English language which can enable the students to learn many things on their own. As you know lot of information on any topic is available mostly in English language in the form of books, articles, videos etc, so if the students improve their English they can go through this vast information and learn many things on their own.
- Take students on Field Trips: outdoor trips provide them with an opportunity to connect the abstract concepts they have learned in the classroom with their practical applications in the real world.
Conclusion: We should try to make learning experience more fun and enjoyable so that students can learn with ease and retain the information for longer duration. We should also encourage the habit of exploration, experimentation and keen observation in children as these qualities are essential for deep learning.